St Michael's Church (Anglican) Pennington, Cumbria (England).
The church was founded in 1200, its full title is 'St. Michael and the Holy Angels'. It is a fine example of a former pagan bronze age barrow or mound which has been 'Christianised'. From above the circular outline of the mound is clearly seen.
From the road it is more difficult to notice, but the raised mound can be seen when walking around the church.
Pennington written in ancient writings is spelt variously as Penyngton, Penington, Pennington; and in the Doomsday Book, Pennegetun, perhaps from Pennaig, in British, a prince, or great personage, to which the Saxon termination tun, being added, forms Pennegetun now smoothed into Pennington. The designation 'St. Michael' is often found when the Roman Catholics took over previous pagan places where Jupiter or Apollo (Sun gods) were worshiped, especially on 'High Places'. Jupiter or Apollo became St. Michael as did Easter or Dianna, who became St. Mary.
To return to the main page, click on logo: